Rabat Process (Under the Co-Presidency of Switzerland and the Gambia)
Law & Policies
The Search Process
Central Tracing Agency (CTA)
Protecting/Restoring Family Links
Right to Know/Truth
Introduction Thematic meeting on separation of families and missing persons in the context of migration:
- Co-chaired by Switzerland and The Gambia;
- Echoing the priorities of Domain 3 of the Cadiz Action Plan 2023-2027 on international protection and asylum, more specifically its objective 5b "Promoting actions to respect the dignity and human rights of migrants and persons in need of protection";
- This is the first thematic meeting organised on this topic as part of the Dialogue ;
- The meeting attracted a varied audience of around one hundred participants from 31 European and African countries.
Objectives of the meeting:
- Bring together Rabat Process partner countries and organisations for a discussion on concrete avenues for collaboration in the prevention and resolution of cases of family separation and missing migrants;
- Discuss cooperation mechanisms at national and transnational levels as well as good practices to prevent migrants from going missing, trace missing migrants and cooperate with the families left behind. A spotlight will be put on best interest determination procedures of unaccompanied or separated minors.
Expected results of the meeting:
- Exchange good practices, experiences and recommendations on the prevention and resolution of cases of family separation and missing migrants; • Identify concrete steps that partner countries can take to effectively follow up on the existing commitments;
- Learn more about the role and activities of the ICRC’s Central Tracing Agency.
This document provides an overview of the main conclusions of the meeting, as well as good practices, challenges and recommendations related to family separation and missing persons in the context of migration.